KS3: Introduction to Microbes
In this lesson, students learn about the different types of microbes – bacteria, viruses, and fungi. They learn that microbes have different shapes and that they are found everywhere.
Scroll down for more information and to download resources.
All students will:
- Understand there are three different types of microbes
- Understand that microbes are found everywhere
- Understand that useful bacteria are found in our body
- Understand that microbes come in different sizes
Most students will:
- Understand the key differences between the three main types of microbes
Micro-organisms are living organisms too small to be seen with the naked eye; they are microscopic. Micro-organisms are found almost everywhere on Earth and can be both useful and harmful to humans. It is important to clarify that microbes are not innately useful or harmful.
Although extremely small, microbes come in many different shapes and sizes. The three groups of microbes covered in this resource are viruses, bacteria, and fungi.
In this lesson plan, students are introduced to a wide range of useful and harmful microbes through an interactive card game. They will investigate well known microbes and learn about antimicrobial resistance.
- Microbe mayhem card game
- Research poster
- Microbes quiz
- Health and prevention
- Working scientifically
- Scientific attitudes
- Experimental skills and investigation
- Structure and function of living organisms
- Cells and organisation
- Genetics and evolution
- DNA and genes