KS1: Respiratory Hygiene
In this lesson, students learn how easily microbes can be spread through coughs and sneezes by recreating a sneeze.
Scroll down to find out more and to download the resources.
All students will:
- Understand there can be harmful microbes in our coughs and sneezes
- Understand that infection can be spread though coughs and sneezes
- Understand that good respiratory practices can reduce the spread of infection
Most students will:
- Understand that we can spread infection through touching surfaces after touching/ wiping our nose or holding a cough /sneeze
- Understand how to develop best practice respiratory hygiene behaviours in everyday life to reduce the spread of infection
Respiratory infections are infections that happen in the lungs, chest, sinuses, nose and throat, for example, coughs and colds, the flu and pneumonia. These infections can spread from person-to-person through the air, through person-to-person contact (touching hands, hugging, kissing) or by touching contaminated surfaces.
Good respiratory hygiene, such as covering your coughs and sneezes, can help prevent the spread of infections.
This lesson plan supports you to educate students on why respiratory hygiene matters, how microbes spread through sneezes and coughs, and how infection spread can be prevented.
- Snot runway
- Sneeze facts
- Super slimy snot
- Sneezy word search
- Fill in the blanks
- Health and prevention
- Working scientifically
- Living things and their habitats
- Reading and comprehension
- Spoken language
- Comparing measurements
Supporting MaterialsTeacher Guidance
- Last updated August 2022