Here you will find links to useful websites and videos all about antibiotics and vaccines.
- The Race Against Drug Resistance – Centre for Global Development
This short film tells the story of Khalifa, a nurse in Ghana who contracted typhoid. She takes one drug and then another—each more expensive than the last—but still she isn't well. The film uses expert interviews and animations to explain why drug resistance threatens us all—and what we can do about it.
- Rise of the Superbug – Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria
TEDx talk from Dr Karl Klose.
- Stopping the Spread of Superbugs – Society for General Microbiology
A play and discussion from the Society for General Microbiology at the Cheltenham Science Festival.
- What causes antibiotic resistance? – TED Lesson
Animation from Kevin Wu as part of the TED-Ed lesson series.
- Antimicrobial resistance: a global health issue
Discussion from experts at the 2013 International Conference on Prevention & Infection Control.
- Antibiotics Mechanisms of Action
How antibiotics work to kill bacteria, including the difference between bacteriostatic and bactericidal antibiotics.
- Vaccination animations – NHS Choices
This first part of a series of animations about vaccination explains why not being vaccinated, due to worrying about side effects, means serious illnesses can become more common. This is a series of videos aimed at all ages, not just young adults.
- How vaccines work – The History of Vaccines
An animation demonstrating how vaccines work.
- Ebola vaccines: Stemming the tide – Department of Health
This video describes the process of testing vaccines to control the Ebola outbreak.
- Immunisation advances – NHS Choices
Elizabeth Farrelly, OBE, describes how immunisations have advanced in her lifetime.
- MedicineList+ – Created by the Australian National Prescribing Service (NPS) MedicineWise, this app will remind you when to take your antibiotics, ensuring the correct doses are taken at the right time.
Download the app for free from Apple's App store and Google Play.