What will you learn:
Through a yogurt making activity, students observe first-hand how
microbes can be put to good use in the food industry, and learn that these microbes are beneficial to our gut, helping us digest.
- Yogurt making activity, where students observe how microbes can be put to good use in the food industry.
- Examining a yogurt culture under a microscope, observe the presence of useful bacteria and report on the findings.
- Understand that some microbes can keep us healthy.
- Understand that some microbes can be put to good use.
- Understand that we need bacterial colonisation to live a healthy life.
- Understand that we need to protect our normal microbial flora.
- Activity 1
- Cling film
- Powdered milk
- Whole milk
- Live natural yogurt
- Sterile spoon
- Hot plate
- Water bath 20?C
- Water bath 40?C
- Activity 2
- Bunsen burner
- Cover slips
- Methylene blue
- Microscope slides
- Sterile droppers
- Science: Working Scientifically, Experimental skills and investigations, Biology, Structure and function of living organisms, Material cycles and energy
- Design & technology: Cooking and nutrition
- RSHE: Health & Prevention