What will you learn:
In this lesson, students will explore the importance of food labels, including the difference between "best before" and "use by". This lesson will also touch upon the growing concern of food waste and what we can do to reduce our waste.
- An interactive quiz on food quality and safety to start the lesson off with
- Making a pie chart to display data from a class vote
- Answering questions on EU data (Optional)
- Videos on 'food date labels' and 'food waste' and supporting worksheet
- To understand types of food labels and why these are important
- To understand the difference between food safety and food quality
- To understand how to store and use different types of food
- To understand consequences of not following food labels properly
- Each pupil should have an electronic device to access Kahoot quiz (optional)
- Screen and speakers for videos
- Printed student worksheets
- KS3: RSHE: Health and prevention.
- KS4: Food preparation and nutrition GCSE: Cooking and food preparation - The scientific principles underlying the preparation and cooking of food.