What will you learn
This lesson builds upon students' knowledge of food safety practices. Students will be encouraged to discuss each food safety scenario in pairs or small groups.
- Five food safety scenarios for students to discuss
- To understand that foodborne illness can have severe consequences and does not contribute to strengthening the immune system
- To understand the consequences of not following food hygiene rules at home, such as cross-contamination, and how to prevent this
- To understand types of food labels and why these are important
- To explain the difference between food safety and food quality
- To understand the food cooked at home is not necessarily safer than food eaten at restaurants
- Printed student worksheets
- KS3: RSHE: Health and prevention, Healthy eating
- KS3: Science: Living things and their habitats
- KS4: Food preparation and nutrition GCSE: Cooking and food preparation - The scientific principles underlying the preparation and cooking of food.