What will you learn?
This Food Hygiene lesson demonstrates how microbes can infect humans through raw and undercooked foods. Students act as chefs for the class and prepare a pretend chicken sandwich. In this activity students literally see how far they have spread harmful microbes
- Students prepare a pretend chicken sandwich that allows them to see how far they have spread dangerous microbes.
- Worksheets facilitate a discussion on "do's and don'ts" for kitchen cleanliness and management.
- The Fridge Game can be used as a classroom game/demonstration to show where food should be stored in the fridge to prevent cross contamination.
- Understand that microbes can be found on our food and can transfer to humans.
- Understand that cooking food properly can kill harmful microbes.
- Understand that bacteria multiply very quickly.
- Understand that refrigeration only stops microbes growing, it doesn't kill them.
- Glo Gel or powder (Alternative: glitter)
- UV lamp
- Chicken fillets made from play dough (A recipe can be found in section 1.1)
- Crepe paper (green and red) or plastic toy food
- Paper plates
- Plastic knives
- Oven area (Optional)
- Science: Working Scientifically, Living things and their habitats
- English: Reading & Comprehension
- RSHE: Health & Prevention
- Design & Technology: Cooking & Nutrition