What will you learn:
The Farm Hygiene lesson teaches students that the farm environment is home to both useful and harmful microbes. Students learn through group discussion, ?social networking?, and a farm journey board game, the risks and benefits of various farm microbes.
- "e-Bug social networking" activity will give students the opportunity to discuss the "profiles" of various microbes and where they might be found in the food chain.
- "Fun on the farm" board game, where players compete to remain healthy throughout a visit to a farm.
- Understand that useful microbes on the farm help the farmer with food production.
- Understand that harmful microbes can be found on the farm and that these microbes can spread to humans.
- Understand that by washing our hands and following some basic rules we can reduce the chance of picking up an infection on the farm.
- Understand where specific harmful microbes can be found on the farm.
- Understand where specific useful microbes can be found on the farm and how they are used in food production.
- A print out of Student worksheet 1, 2 and 8 per pupil
- Farm Journey Game board print out
- Farm Journey Game Counters
- Farm Journey Game cards
- Science: Working Scientifically, Living things and their habitats
- English: Reading & Comprehension
- RSHE: Health & Prevention
- Geography: Human & Physical geography