This lesson builds upon students' knowledge of food safety practices. Students will be encouraged to discuss each food safety scenario in pairs or small groups.
- To understand that foodborne illness can have severe consequences and does not contribute to strengthening the immune system
- To understand the consequences of not following food hygiene rules at home, such as cross-contamination, and how to prevent this
- To understand types of food labels and why these are important
- To explain the difference between food safety and food quality
- To understand the food cooked at home is not necessarily safer than food eaten at restaurants
- Five food safety scenarios for students to discuss
- KS3: RSHE:
- Health and prevention, Healthy eating
- KS3: Science:
- Living things and their habitats
- KS4: Food preparation and nutrition GCSE:
- Cooking and food preparation - The scientific principles underlying the preparation and cooking of food.