Dental health is extremely important; over 23% of children in England have tooth decay and it is the main reason for children aged 5 to 9 being admitted to hospital. Tooth decay is caused by bacteria within the plaque.
The good news is that tooth decay can be prevented by limiting the number of times we eat foods and drinks with added sugar, brushing twice a day with fluoride toothpaste and regularly seeing the dentist to check the health of our teeth and gums.
This lesson plan will support you to introduce the concept of oral hygiene to children and explain how to brush teeth effectively.
- Children will:
- Understand how to brush their own teeth effectively
- Understand why it is important to brush our teeth
- Understand the link between sugar and tooth decay
- Main Activity:
- Mirror Exercise and Tooth Brushing Mime
- Extension Activity:
- Tooth Brushing Chart
Early Years Framework:
- Communication and language development:
- Listening and attention
- Physical development:
- Health and self-care
- Expressive arts and design:
- Exploring and using media and materials